Are you a tinkerer? Do you enjoy taking things apart and then putting them back together? How about playing with LEGO®? Would you like to use a ridiculous amount of LEGO® materials to teach kids how the world works? If so, then this may be your dream job!
Play-Well TEKnologies (http://www.play-well.org) is an educational enrichment company that introduces children in grades K-8 to concepts in engineering, architecture and physics.
We are seeking a new manager for our operations in the Austin / San Antonio area. The successful candidate lives in the area, or plans to move to the area soon. This full-time hourly position includes paid vacation time as well as eligibility for our group health plan, and Flexible Spending Accounts (health and/or dependent care).
This is an established area for our programs, spanning Temple in the North down to the surrounding cities around San Antonio. We need someone to take us to the next level. There's a lot of opportunity for growth, specifically focused on our school year programs, so outreach to new clients is a must. We do awesome stuff and we want to share it! We need someone who is detail oriented and can handle client-specific demands (like fingerprinting requests).
Given the size of our staff, the Area Manager will be managing and teaching and will need to be well versed in our curriculum and instructional methods. We have built some very strong relationships with our local recreation departments and want to keep those going, plus build new relationships with private schools and youth serving organizations in the area.
- Setting annual and seasonal goals in cooperation with Regional Manager
Determining pricing and marketing strategies for programs in the area
Creating and maintaining relationships using good communication with clients to schedule programs, with staff to set schedules, and with other Play-Well managers to ensure quality operations
Completing all paperwork and documentation for clients and program needs
Hiring, training and development of all instructor and assistant staff for the area
Seasonal and annual performance evaluations of staff
Invoicing clients and follow-up on accounts receivable
Buckle up - this is hard work! Lugging 40 pound totes in and out of your car, training and mentoring staff to lead excited kids through challenging projects, managing classroom conflicts and responding to parent questions, caretaking all that LEGO® -- this will be the toughest job you'll ever love!
- Work a consistent 30-hours per week (which may include occasional weekend events)
- Work independently and be self-motivated
- Communicate in a professional manner with parents, coordinators, and all Play-Well staff
- Strong, professional interpersonal and verbal / written communication skills are a must
- Owns reliable vehicle to transport a Play-Well teaching kit which includes 6-8 60-quart bins of materials, and willing to drive required distances to organize, promote, teach classes, evaluate staff and/or meet with clients
- Able to instill calm during high energy classroom situations
- Access to email and cell phone communication
- Word, Excel, cloud computing
- Data entry and database management
- Ability to learn and comprehend all internal IT systems
Education / Experience:
- Passion for LEGO® and kids
- Must be living in or willing to move to Austin / San Antonio area (no relocation package available)
- Educational backgrounds vary; Bachelor's degree preferred
- Work history varies; proficiency in classroom instruction, management, training, employee relations, public relations, business and marketing preferred
- Successful history working with children in a teaching capacity
- Travel to classes throughout the area; travel statewide or nationally as necessary
- Reliable transportation a must; secure location to store LEGO® kits
- Lifting up to 50 lbs to store and stock materials; bending, stooping and crawling with children during class instruction
- Demonstrated experience working successfully from a home office
- Must pass all background and health tests as a condition of employment
- Full-time hourly / 30 hours per week ($19/hour starting rate)
- Benefits include accrued vacation
- Group health plan
- FSA plans
- Work from home office with monthly office/phone allowance; travel to teaching sites with mileage reimbursement
We play everyday. Come play well with us!
**This organization is not affiliated with the LEGO® GROUP.**
The successful Play-Well Area Manager has...
- Passion for kids with an ability to quickly develop good rapport with children while maintaining discipline and directing the design/build experience
- Comfort with "controlled chaos"
- Understanding of basic scientific and engineering principles; love of problem solving - makers and tinkerers encouraged to apply!
- An inquisitive, fun-loving personality. We like people who are curious about how things work and are willing to "nerd out" with kids
- Self-motivated, extremely well organized, goal focused; able to work autonomously - a self-starter
- Able to stay organized in a home office; excellent follow through
- Able to establish and maintain healthy relationships through communication with Play-Well management, facility directors, parents, guardians and students
- Able to quickly and tactfully respond to questions/concerns from parents, classroom instructors and clients
At Play-Well TEKnologies, kids dive into our classes and exercise their innate gift for building. They come away understanding fundamental principles of engineering and physics. The experience boosts their confidence, creativity and ability to collaborate.
We provide project-based programs designed to teach principles and methods of engineering to children, ages 5 – 14, using LEGO®. Our curriculum is designed by engineers, building on the math and science skills students learn during the school year. Utilizing over 20,000 pieces of LEGO® for each class, we engage our students in solving real-world engineering challenges that explore concepts in physics, architecture, and engineering. Our goal is to have our students foster a greater appreciation of how things work, and encourage the qualities of inquisitiveness, self-reliance, and self-confidence in children. We have been growing future engineers and problem solvers since 1997.
- Related Keywords:
- STEM, LEGO, STEAM, summer camp, Engineering, Architecture, maker faire, maker space, Science, teaching, project-based learning, hands-on, future engineers, build, design, creative, tinker, problem-solving, creativity, program manager, relationship building, communication skills, training, education, youth programs, after-school, educational enrichment