Combine your expertise in program leadership with your passion for making a life-changing impact on the lives of children in this influential role at Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area. BBBSBA has been providing Bay Area youth with professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships since 1958. We are seeking a qualified and experienced VP of Programs to lead our mentoring programs, providing high quality support to the youth we serve in San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Alameda, and Contra Costa counties. Our Administrative headquarters are in San Francisco, with additional program offices in the East Bay (Oakland) and South Bay (Milpitas). In addition to maintaining the dedicated services of more than 600+ volunteers who serve as mentors, the VP of Program will provide leadership and strategic guidance for a staff of 15 individuals (2 direct reports) who make and support our matches in all five counties.
The VP of Programs will lead the implementation of specific initiatives within the agency’s strategic plan, while ensuring child safety and the ongoing quality of the agency’s evidence-based mentoring programs. The ideal candidate will be ready to work in collaboration with staff, volunteers, Directors and other support groups to achieve divisional and agency goals while maintaining organizational policies.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for clarifying the exact nature, detail(s), component(s), etc, of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area mentoring program design. Plans, leads and implements programs designed to strengthen and increase the number of Big and Little match relationships. Clarifies, develops and implements new program initiatives to expand mentoring services as directed and needed. Sets milestones/timelines, etc, by identifying and assessing the needs of the communities we serve.
- Accountable for program performance. Monitors operational effectiveness, tracks performance and develops measures to ensure growth, minimize BBBSBA risk and meet annual agency program goals.
- Collaborates with CEO, VP of Finance and Administration, and VP of Operations to coordinate compliance reporting and related requirements from BBBSA national office as requested.
- Establishes and oversees the program segment of agency’s overall budget. Ensures that all systems required to track and report on program functions due to grant requirements are established and maintained as needed.
Strategic Initiatives and External Relations
- Operationalizes the agency’s strategic plan and analyzes workflow capacity of staff. Expands agency matches in the African American and Latino communities by establishing and nurturing high-value strategic partnerships.
- Serves as one of the agency’s spokespersons and develops and conducts ongoing public awareness and education designed to enhance the agency’s mentoring program, using speaking engagements, media interviews and personal appearances to keep the program in the public eye.
- Reinforces Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area’s brand and its programmatic impact in communities served with key public and private sector entities and leaders.
- Surfaces “best practices” that can be integrated into nationwide models for replication and investments. May represent agency at regional or national levels.
Staff Leadership and Development
- Hires, engages, develops, and holds staff accountable to work efficiently and effectively and to achieve individual and team goals while complying with local polices and national standards of practice. Establishes and ensures a system and culture of continuous staff learning, development and succession planning.
- Defines and motivates Programs team to perform to specific strategies to ensure child safety and extend match lengths.
- Serves as staff liaison with CEO for Board Programs and Strategic Planning Committee. Attends meetings and conducts follow-up on meeting activities in a timely manner.
- Serves as a contributing member of the agency’s senior management team.
Partnerships & Volunteer Development
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Development, facilitates cohesion between mentoring programs and fund development departments to ensure an on-going supply of targeted volunteer candidates and resources to support agency programs. Leads communications across departments and within departments related to service delivery and customer service to enable program implementation, communicate policy and assure compliance.
- Cultivates long-term sustaining relationships with mentor-and youth-rich organizations, collaborators and other third parties through effective stewardship and communications.
- Builds strong and productive working relationships with appropriate academic and public officials and agencies at the local and state levels.
Reporting to the CEO, the ideal candidate will bring the following to the role.
- Bachelor's degree required (Master's degree preferred)
- 5 years of related work experience required with progressive management responsibilities at the senior management level.
- Experience in a culturally diverse organization within the youth development field a plus.
- Previous program management experience at a Big Brothers Big Sisters (AIM) affiliate is highly desirable.
- The candidate selected for this position must successfully pass a background check.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record of program implementation
- Must have 5+ years’ experience in supervising staff to produce goals, with a proven track record of success
- Must possess outstanding human relations/team building skills particularly the ability to communicate at all levels with clarity in defining program excellence.
- Experience with developing strategies and leading successful execution for program growth
This is a permanent, full time exempt position and includes a competitive benefit package including health, dental, vision and life insurance, 403(B) savings plan, flexible spending account, and generous paid time off. The position is located in our downtown San Francisco office (BART accessible) and requires travel within our five-county region and occasional weekend hours.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters Mission:
To provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters Vision:
That all children achieve success in life.
Changing Perspectives. Changing Lives.
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the nation’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes and monitors meaningful matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
- Related Keywords:
- programs, nonprofit, social services, youth services, mentoring, mentorship, Big Brothers Big Sisters, strategic planning, community outreach, supervising, supervision, leadership, manager, management, program director, vice president of programs, social work, human services, community development, youth development